Monday, January 12, 2009

Our amusements in the frozen tundra

I think we have so many posts about snow and severe cold. Honestly, the weather here is just extreme, and it occupies so much of our lives. Every few days we get nearly half a foot to a foot with huge snow drifts in our driveway (3 1/2 to 4 feet)! I really am about ready to hybernate and not try to go anywhere!

Our back doors are completely unopenable. William is standing by our patio door. Not only does that seem like a lot of snow, but we took out the porch out that door, and when you walk out there is about a foot or more drop. A lot of snow! And winter is just beginning in North Dakota!


Dallin turned 4 on Saturday and it was a joy to watch him. He is so excited about everything and loved every tiny thing about his big day!



The Air Force base has an outdoor recreation office where you can rent all types of things. We decided to rent a snowmobile for a couple of days, trying to find entertainment in this crazy winter wonderland. The boys loved it, although it was very cold and we really had to bundle up.


I had to add this picture. My husband is so handsome and brave. He is always out shoveling, or bringing in wood for the stove despite temperatures. You can't tell well on this picture, but his eyelashes and eyebrows are frozen!
We find ways to entertain ourselves. Ben drew mustaches on the boys one night, after Abel had done so on himself already. We think they are quite handsome, even with colored mustaches!

4 comments:

Sharlee said...

You DO have a bunch of handsome boys! After seeing what kind of weather you put up with there, I shan't complain about Cache Valley weather anymore! Wow. That is really cool that the Air Force provides some recreational opportunities if you're brave enough to go outside.

T-licious D-zire and C-hillins said...

So those aren't real mustaches? I mean, it's been so long since I've seen the boys...? :) I'm glad you guys are surviving the mounting snow! Praise Ben for his hard work out there in the cold! And you for keeping the house "warm" inside while he's busy out there. We love you!

Alison said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe the snow! I will stop complaining about the winter! You are a real trooper! I think I would have pulled all my hair out! Your kids are adorable and it looks like you are all having fun inspite of the weather!! Take Care, Alison

Rett, Terah, Eliza, and now Ava! said...

You guys look great. We went home for the Christmas break and got to see some snow. There is no snow in San Antonio these days.

reberville.blogspot.com